SAFETY ON THE STREETS
If street crimes (purse snatching, robberies, assaults, etc.) are a problem in your neighbourhood and you have a fear of being a victim, there are ways in which you can reduce the risk of abuse and increase your sense of security.
• Walk only in well-lit areas.
• Don’t burden yourself with packages and a bulky purse.
• Never display large sums of money in public.
• Go shopping in pairs or in a group.
• Walk in the center of the sidewalk, away from alleys and doorways.
• If you suspect you are being followed, cross the street, go to the nearest home, service station or business and call the police.
• Be aware of your surroundings and avoid areas that increase your chances of being assaulted.
• Report problem areas to police. The police welcome the information and can also advise you of prevention methods
Credit: Excerpt from 2022 Seniors' Guidebook to Safety and Security, published by RCMP